Dermot Early Leadership Initiative
St. Eunans GAA have opened the application process for the innovative Dermot Earley Youth Leadership Initiative for 2022/ 2023. We are seeking participants for this exciting joint GAA/Foróige programme which enables young people (15-18 years) to develop their leadership skills and challenges them to use these skills to improve society.
The Dermot Earley Youth Leadership Initiative takes its name from one of Ireland’s most inspirational leaders and one of Connacht’s greatest Gaelic sportsmen, Dermot Earley Snr. (1948-2010), recognising his lifetime of sporting and professional achievements and his commitment to community service.
‘Your attitude is more important than your ability, your motives are more important than your methods, your courage is more important than your cleverness and always have your heart in the right place.”
Dermot Earley Snr.
The Dermot Earley Youth Leadership Initiative aims:
- To enable young people to develop the skills, inspiration, vision, confidence, and action plans needed to be effective leaders, both on and off the pitch
- To empower young people to make a positive difference to their society through the practice of effective leadership.
Since 2014, the Dermot Earley Youth Leadership Initiative has seen over 500 young GAA members across Ireland complete the yearlong programme, gaining a level 6 third level qualification in Youth Leadership and Community Action. This unique programme evokes and honours the values Dermot Earley epitomised and tries to foster them in a new generation of young Irish leaders.
The programme will run over three modules between September 2022 and May 2023. During the programme the young GAA members will gain aptitudes in essential leadership skills in a safe and supportive environment.
Module one focuses on:
- Individual and their leadership skills,
- Building their self-awareness,
- Community skills,
- Values and communication skills.
Module two focuses on:
- Ability to lead as part of a team enabling them to cultivate their skills further.
Module three focuses on:
- Individual leadership aspirations and offered the participants the opportunity to lead their own project within their community from conception to completion.
Applications will be accepted on a first come first served basis.